Thursday, April 8, 2010

Toward More Colorful Writing

Just ran across an example in my own writing where I first thought of the usual adjectives, and had to force myself to be a little more creative! While describing the colors in a painting, I wrote:
"Rich dabs of cool green and golden yellow and crisp white and warm brown."
Which is okay, but then I thought gee, especially the GOLDEN is so cliche. The others aren't that unique either. So I had to reach a bit, and came up with:
"Rich dabs of vibrant green and robust yellow and sharp white and earthy brown."
I think that's a better sentence, and more original adjectives for those colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, bloggy buddies! I respond to all comments via email if you have an address linked to your profile. Sorry, I have had to turn OFF comments from Anonymous users due to Spam.