Today, ex-Agent Orange, the famous Nathan Bransford, invited his readers to post articles about Harry Potter on their own blogs, in honor of his self-proclaimed HARRY POTTER WEEK. See the bottom of his November 12th post.
Cool, I thought. In fact, that could most excellently tie into my next blog post about being creative with words--which I will post next Wednesday for my usual weekly post.
So, onto the writing of Ms. Rowling (pronounced "rolling," I've heard).
JK Rowling is very imaginative in her writing style. Not only does she construct a mean plotline, memorable/dramatic scenes, and intriguing characters, but her writing contains imagery and figures of speech that can delight a writer's mind.
QUOTES from Book 7, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
1. He was so pale that he seemed to emit a pearly glow. (p. 3)
2. "I'm only yanking your wand, I'm Fred really--" (p. 52)
3. A horrible, half-sucking, half-moaning sound came out of the square hole, along with an unpleasant smell like open drains. (p. 97)
4. Her beaky nose, red-rimmed eyes, and feathery pink hat gave her the look of a bad-tempered flamingo. (p. 141)
5. "And you're supposed to be dying of spattergroit at the Burrow!" (p. 231)
6. The cold was agony: It attacked him like fire. (p. 370)
7. It looked like the bizarre offspring of a workbench and a set of old shelves… (p. 400)
8. The white marble tomb, an unnecessary blot on the familiar landscape. (p. 501)
As shown by these examples, Ms. Rowlings uses different kinds of imagery. She utilizes senses of smell and physical sensations. She crafts phrases of speech that are unique to the novel, as in Example #2. She invents words like "spattergroit," which makes her fantasy world more concrete and more intriguing. She paints specific word-pictures for her readers.
And that, in part, is why her readers adore her work.
Okay! Now get out there, Harry Potterites, and go see the movie when it comes out on November 19!
Be sure to view the exciting trailer at: Harry Potter.com if you haven't already seen it. If that linky doesn't work, youtube and other places in cyberspace have the Deathly Hallows trailer.