Wednesday, November 9, 2011

OPEN MINDS: Read it!

Funny but perfect timing. Here last week I was just talking about reading books with my inner-editor hat on, and how only certain books can sweep me up so completely that I forget I'm wearing that hat.

Well! This weekend I read one of those books. OPEN MINDS by Susan Kaye Quinn.

OPEN MINDS is a YA science fiction novel. Here's the summary:

Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can't read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can't be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves. When she accidentally controls Raf's mind and nearly kills him, Kira tries to hide her frightening new ability from her family and an increasingly suspicious Raf. But lies tangle around her, and she's dragged deep into a hidden underworld of mindjackers, where having to mind control everyone she loves is just the beginning of the deadly choices before her.

I usually grade pretty hard when I write reviews. I would probably give this a 4.6 or 4.7 out of 5. It's not heavy sci-fi, by the way--not full of overbearing sciency stuff.

GOOD STUFF
The science fiction elements and futuristic world-building were done very well, which made the story more real. I enjoyed the writing style of the author and how she phrased things, for instance the description of how laughter would sound in someone's mind (as other people are mentally laughing or being amused). The invented slang such as "mesh" (cool) and "pravers" (degenerate/evil people) were really fun and apt. I'd enthuse more over details, but I don't want to spoil the experience for anyone!

STUFF TO IMPROVE
The things that I felt could be improved about this book were minor. Near the end there's a detail that seems a little too coincidental to me, and the word "snuck" is used 3 times, which sets off my overly sensitive grammar-radar. ("Sneaked" is the proper past tense of sneak, not snuck. If you have a "snuck" in your ms, go take it out! Unless it's in dialogue, of course.)

There were 7-8 instances of spaces omitted, typos that may be fixed in later editions since I notified Susan of them. Also, in a couple of places things were repeated by the main character that had already been explained. I didn't mind that too much, because some of the ideas were complex and more time was needed to wrap my head around them.

CHECK IT OUT
This is the very first ebook I've ever bought. I read the first pages on Susan's site and had to get it. The ebook on Amazon is only $2.99. What a deal!!

Read the first chapter sample HERE.
Rip on over to Amazon and buy it HERE.

YOUR TURN
Have you read this book yet? (if so, you're fast, since it just came out!)
Do you like to read YA science fiction, or is it not quite your genre?
What books have you read that have been so good that you've ignored your editor hat?

32 comments:

  1. Great review! I just bought it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review, Carol! Sounds like a great story.

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Emily! And thank you to Carol for the lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great review, Carol. I don't really gravitate to YA Sci Fi, but this review made me want to. The book's premise sounds fascinating.
    I don't tend to read with my proof-reader editor's mind, unless there are serious problems with the writing (repeated spelling mistakes, etc. that really do intrude on the story.) But I often note the good writing I'm reading. Just can't help noticing a phrase I love, etc. One book I really got lost in and liked so much was Steinbeck's Ghost, by Lewis Buzbee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love YA, but I'm not a big fan of sci-fi. It would have to really grab me for me to read it. I'll check out the sample chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I take it out (mostly for you), snuck isn't NOT a word, it's just informal.

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snuck

    Great review. I really want to read this. It sounds great. Is it self-published?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @RosieC Thanks for your kind words about the book. Yes, it is self-published! My first novel went through a small publisher, who I still love, but I decided to go indie with this one for a few reasons, but mostly price. I hope you'll give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good point, Rosie. It's commonly accepted as a usage, more like a colloquialism I think. Just one of my personal peeves that I think sounds really odd! ;o) It didn't USED to be an accepted word. Showing my age...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great book! Good review Carol. I haven't read it yet, but I'm adding it to my every-growing Christmas book wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I love that you caught snuck. I haven't read Open Minds yet, but I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I do intend to. Thanks so much for the great review. Because of it, I might pause on the book I'm currently reading and read Open Minds now rather than next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love YA Science Fiction--this sounds like an awesome book. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool premise! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I have this book on my Kindle, and I can't wait to get started on it. I'm so backlogged!

    I'm only a moderate SF reader, but I can't wait to read Susan's book. I read and very much enjoyed her first book. Yay, for Dr. Q~

    Oh, and so glad you noted that "snuck" thing. Me and T.H. had a big back and forth (never a disagreement!) about that b/c she insisted I was wrong and it's correct. I was always taught "sneaked" too... :D We decided it's not really that big a deal in the end--LOL! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review. I love YA Sci/Fi. I'm going to go check this out right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not read this book. I do like sci/fi. I've been reading more YA because I'm thinking about writing a YA novel. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't read a lot of Sci-Fi, but you've sold me on this one. I'm going to add it to my TBR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review. It's on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how Susan takes a common trait everyone has and turns it into a gift in her book. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the great review, Carol. This definitely sounds like one I'll put on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw your review on goodreads and I added it right away! Thanks for another review here. I can't wait to get it in my hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This book sounds like it's right up my alley. Excellent review. Thanks!

    I think I need to put my editor's hat on more when I read, or maybe not so much my editor's hat but just be more aware in general, if that makes sense. I tend to be a pretty forgiving reader.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the clouds.

    Stopping by to take a look around.

    NEW FOLLOWER

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm reading OPEN MINDS right now. I'm enjoying it a lot. It kept me up until 1 last night. :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm with you on this one, Carol! I find it hard sometimes to read books with my inner editor, but Susan's completely swept me away. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your reviews make me feel like you would be the most kick butt editor ever. Thanks for sharing this new book :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like an awesome book! I love sci-fi, will have to buy a copy :)

    Hugs,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've always like the idea of mind reading. Its so eerie. A total invasion of one's privacy. Good luck to Susan and her book Open Minds!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've seen this book in different blogs now and find it really intriquing. Have every intention of getting it for Christmas...along with a million others. Have a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've got Open Minds on my Kindle and I'm looking forward to starting it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. $2.99 for a good book? That's practically a steal. Great review! I saw this on another site. Looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, bloggy buddies! I respond to all comments via email if you have an address linked to your profile. Sorry, I have had to turn OFF comments from Anonymous users due to Spam.