Monday, March 24, 2014

I HAVE A BOOK CONTRACT!

(I'm posting now instead of my usual 3rd Wednesday posting for the month, to wait for this…)

My new author photo!
I can't believe it! After 11 years of writing/revising, more than 14 novels, and over 350 total rejection slips, I'm thrilled to announce I've landed a book contract for my light sci-fi novel, THE BODY INSTITUTE (formerly SHAPERS).

WAHOOOO! 

Unbelievable.

My publisher will be Strange Chemistry, the YA imprint of Angry Robot Books. Check out their awesome-sounding books HERE.

I'm really excited to be a part of this publishing house. As they describe themselves: "Strange Chemistry is a global imprint dedicated to the best in modern Young Adult science fiction, fantasy, supernatural and everything in between." They're based in the UK and release books worldwide in the UK, Canada, the US, Australia, and New Zealand.

Here's the Publisher's Weekly news release:
Riggs Checks ‘Body’ for Angry Robot
Sold in what agent Kelly Sonnack at Andrea Brown called a “competitive bidding situation,” Angry Robot’s Amanda Rutter bought world English rights to Carol Riggs’s debut YA novel, The Body Institute. The book follows a 17-year-old recruited by a weight-loss company to train its clients by having her brain waves downloaded into their bodies so she can exercise for them. Sonnack said the novel “explores the meaning of self in a brave new world.” Rutter bought the book for Angry Robot’s YA imprint, Strange Chemistry.

My THE BODY INSTITUTE book summary: 
When trim, health-conscious Morgan Dey accepts a job at an innovative weight-loss program that involves downloading her brainwaves into her overweight client's body, she soon realizes she stands much more to lose than the 100 pounds she signed up for.

Title Change
My novel used to be called SHAPERS, if anyone remembers me mentioning that title in the last couple of years. There is apparently a ladies' gym and/or some diet products in the UK called Shapers, so I needed to change the title for copyright reasons. I thought SHAPERS fit the book well, but THE BODY INSTITUTE is a great substitute title, I think.

Thank You, Thank You Very Much
Special thanks to my agent, Kelly Sonnack, for believing in this book—wading through multiple revisions and hacking away at the manuscript with me until it finally resembled something an editor wanted to acquire.

Signing the contract was SURREAL.

The release is set for January 2015!
Let the deadlines and final revisions begin!

FACEBOOK: if you'd like to keep up with my current writerly and book info, please sign in and Like my author page HERE (if you haven't Liked my page already). Thank you!!


YOUR TURN
Have you heard of Angry Robot Books or Strange Chemistry (cool names, huh)?
How would you react if you had to change your book's title—would it be easy or difficult for you to re-envision another one?


51 comments:

  1. Congrats, Carol! This sounds like a fascinating story. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you Carol! Congrats and enjoy every moment of this wild ride! :)

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very happy for you!!! I love the new title!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, I am thrilled for you. I'm so glad you stuck with it because your premise sounds amazing! I love the new name. I hope it sells many, many copies!

    14 manuscripts? You give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippee!! Breaking out the cheese in your honor. It's time to PARTY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the new title is great! Congrats, Carol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the description. Huge congrats. You worked hard and persistently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATS!!! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited for you!!!! Congrats! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news Carol! Thanks for sharing with us and best wishes for a smashing success!

    ReplyDelete
  11. FINALLY!! So happy you can finally celebrate officially! So well-deserved!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So thrilled for you, Carol!!! Looking forward to reading and celebrating your release next January. *happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited for you! Congratulations! Woot! : D

    ReplyDelete
  14. OM - EEK!!! I'm thrilled for you, Carol! You so deserve this. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HUGE congrats, Carol!! It's a brilliant story too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Of course I've heard of Angry Robots! Massive congrats to you for landing a deal, seriously!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so happy for you years ago we met on linked in and you mentioned this book and was embarking on the query stage. 🎉🌸🎉

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very excited for you, Carol! And great premise!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry was on I-phone when wrote my comment the square box you see was flowers and balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Huzzah!! So excited for you!! A million congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super congratulations! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, the premise sounds amazing and so original! Congratulations (from a blog pal who has been silent for quite a while...apologies!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hooray, Carol! Very happy about your news!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whoo-hoo! The book sounds amazing, and I'm so happy for you. You deserve it. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, wahoo! I'm so excited and happy for you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Carol, I'm soooooooooo happy for you!!!! All your patience and hard work has paid off. I'm so thrilled about this news, and can't wait for your release!

    I changed the title of my book too. At first it felt weird, but now it feels like it's the title it's supposed to have :)

    Enjoy this moment...you deserve it

    ReplyDelete
  27. Woot Woot!

    Woo Hoo!

    You go girl!

    So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yay! So excited for you! Such awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yay Carol!!! So happy to officially see this announcement! Totally deserving in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow!!! Congratulations, Carol!!! Way to Go! and yes, Angry Robot books is a very cool name! I also really like your new title too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. YAY CAROL! SO HAPPY for YOU! PK and I talked about you the other night when she was here in Chicago.. Had no idea you guys were pals! ALL THE BEST!

    As for titles... now you're going to laugh. I got the final notes back from my editor. She wants me to CHANGE my title! NOOOO. LOL.

    Thought of you right away! So The Blinded Gardener is no more. I have like ten different ones. She liked one of them, but I like another better. I'll send them to you to see what you think!

    CONGRATS AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome news Carol. I am so pleased for you. May this be the first of many such announcements :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Squee! Congratulations!
    Ooh, a title change... I like yours! Wonder how I'd feel about mine?
    11 years, wow - gives me hope for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yaaaaay!! That is SOOO exciting! Strange Chemistry has some very cool titles, and soon yours will be listed right next to them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, Carol, I'm a bit late coming to your blog to congratute you (although I did tweet the info on my FB). What wonderful news. And I like the new title better than the old. No, I have never heard of those imprints, but I don't write Sci Fi, so that's a market I don't check out much. But they seem to have a great reputation. Congratulations. After all the hard work, it's your time to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Although I have already sent you my congratulations about your book deal via FB, I wanted to add my name to the large list of writers here on your blog who are so very happy for you! You are not only a great writer, by a warm and humble lady. All the best to you, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations!! I am very familiar with Angry Robot Books; they publish some great titles, so you are with a fabulous publishing house. I am so very, very happy for you. As for the title issue, I suppose if I was attached to the title, it would be painful to watch it change, but most publishers change the titles anyway, that's just part of publishing. As a journalist, I used to write titles all the time, only to watch them migrate into something completely different. When I became the editor, I was thrilled because I could then write the titles. Not. The publisher still had veto power. :) Good luck with all your future writing endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Coming in a little late, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! This is amazing news - so happy for you! And, I'm sure I've mentioned it before, the book sounds great. Love the new title and can't wait to pick it up off a shelf!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm very late to this party, but this is awesome news, Carol. Congratulations! I love the new title.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! Congrats!

    Never hear of either before, but their covers are stunning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've said it before and I'll say it again--I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU! GO CAROL!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, bloggy buddies! I respond to all comments via email if you have an address linked to your profile. Sorry, I have had to turn OFF comments from Anonymous users due to Spam.